Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Psalm 139 - 2 Sides to the Divine


Psalm 139 is a beautiful ode to both God and mankind. It pulses with appreciation for the beauty of man (as a created and evolved being), the wonder of nature, and the majesty of an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent and loving God.

I see two distinct sections to this Psalm, bisecting its 24 verses very nicely indeed. Let's look at verses 1-13,
1 O LORD, you have searched me
       and you know me.
 2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
       you perceive my thoughts from afar.
 3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
       you are familiar with all my ways.
 4 Before a word is on my tongue
       you know it completely, O LORD.
 5 You hem me in—behind and before;
       you have laid your hand upon me.
              6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
                  too lofty for me to attain.
 7 Where can I go from your Spirit?
       Where can I flee from your presence?
 8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
       if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
 9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
       if I settle on the far side of the sea,
 10 even there your hand will guide me,
       your right hand will hold me fast.
 11 If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me
       and the light become night around me,"
 12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
       the night will shine like the day,
       for darkness is as light to you.
13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. 

This is an observation of the relationship we all have with God, whether we like it or not. It is not based on choice, desire or even intent, it is the 'default setting' for the Divine/human relationship. God knows our past, present, future, thoughts, desires and geographical position. We can hide nothing from him and cannot escape his knowledge or influence. We can do nothing without his will allowing it to be so, whether we are aware of it or not (though the psalmist clearly is). Now the second half,

 14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made,  your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
 15 My frame was not hidden from you
       when I was made in the secret place.
       When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
 16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
       All the days ordained for me were written in your book
       before one of them came to be.
 17 How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
       How vast is the sum of them!
 18 Were I to count them they would outnumber the grains of sand. When I awake, I am still with you.
 19 If only you would slay the wicked, O God!
       Away from me, you bloodthirsty men!
 20 They speak of you with evil intent;
       your adversaries misuse your name.
 21 Do I not hate those who hate you, O LORD,
       and abhor those who rise up against you?
 22 I have nothing but hatred for them;
       I count them my enemies.
 23 Search me, O God, and know my heart;
       test me and know my anxious thoughts.
 24 See if there is any offensive way in me,
       and lead me in the way everlasting.
Verses 13-24 get personal. This is the chosen or optional Divine/human relationship. Here the language moves from observation to appreciation and worship. The psalmist acknowledges and indeed rejoices in God's role in man's unique design. The psalmist values his own complexity, and wishes for an exchange of knowledge between himself and the Divine. 

The writer volunteers his thoughts, emotions and attitudes for examination and not only embraces God's omniscience, but treasures Divine thought as well. So much so that his search for God reveals the immeasurable magnitude and depth of the Divine Mind. The psalmist's passion leads him to an emotional expression of disdain for those whom disdain God, and he ends with a verbalization of his desire to have his inner self changed to be more like the  divine mind of which he is in awe.

This beautiful Psalm is a powerful illustration of the kind of walk God wishes to have with each of us. Even though he may know all, he wishes for us to willingly offer our friendship (thoughts, feelings, aspirations etc.) and to desire his. It is one thing to be 'found out' and another to confess, as the case may be. God doesn't want a one-sided affair. One of the most notable implications in this Psalm is that man is worth being known by God. That God is worthy of our knowledge is obvious in this discourse, but too often men see themselves as worthless when it is apparent God doesn't share the sentiment. 

Surely there are more gems to be found in this Psalm. Please feel free to share the ones you have found.

No comments:

Post a Comment