Thursday, October 01, 2009

Who's Who? The Voice of God or Man Pt 2

Sorting out where messages come from - God or Man - can be hard. Made harder still when you add anger, resentment, pride or bitterness.

Having a great talk with a thoughtful and spiritual friend of mine made a difference, not just because he gave me helpful advice but pointed me to God rather than himself or other men. He reminded me that where there is man, there will be disagreement and divergence and yes, sometimes sin.

In truth when we set our hearts to find answers we can learn from a rock, a fool or even a wise friend. Good students can make almost anyone look like a wise teacher. We can learn what not to do from a fool. But wise teachers and good students make for a happy lesson - a happy life.

Sometimes we stop at the question, not expecting or perhaps wanting, an answer - being angry or distracted is enough. When we are sifting through the doctrines, voices and opinions it's so easy to forget what - or who - this hulabaloo is all about.

I realize that when God isn't my focus I can begin to resent men for their intrusion, perspective or unsolicited advice. But even if they aren't being sincere or are just pushy or legalistic, if my goal is God I won't add to the confusion. I might not be able to solve it - but I can walk away without joining it.


No comments:

Post a Comment